Category Archives: starbucks
I hope you all have had a wonderful Sunday. I had a fantastic day. I had Starbucks this morning and got my grocery shopping done early. I did laundry and some much needed cleaning. Sad, but yes this makes for a wonderful day. It means I can start the week organized!
The highlight of my day (other than hubby coming home from his paintball weekend today) was a meet-up we had in St. Petersburg for the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers. I was lucky to join this group on Facebook a few months ago after following several local bloggers. They had a meet-up last month, but I was unable to attend. I had this day marked on the calendar, excited to meet a great group of women who I read about and interact with on Facebook and Twitter. We met at The Hooker Tea Co. in downtown St. Petersburg. Like anything new with me, I was nervous going into it, but quickly became comfortable with them. We talked about our blogs, eating out, reading, and more. It really was a great time. I had a yummy iced tea and enjoyed the surroundings. The staff was great and even took pictures of us (with several of our cameras!). I look forward to next month’s meet-up and continuing to get to know these great women.
After our meet-up, I headed home to make dinner for my honey. He was gone all weekend playing paintball and I was excited to make his favorite meal – steak and shrimp. Normally I would make myself a piece of fish when he has steak and shrimp, but I decided to have the same. Well, almost. I make his shrimp in Carolina BBQ sauce – he loves it. I wanted something a little different, though. So I sautéed shrimp and fresh tomatoes in olive oil, minced garlic, and basil and served it on toasted French bread from Publix (darn you Publix for smelling like fresh bread when I walked in there this morning!). This is the first time I’ve made this bruschetta-type dish and I would most certainly have it again. The flavors were amazing and it was very filling. I couldn’t even finish my steak, thank goodness hubby was home and finished it for me. I also had a nice glass of Pink Moscato. It was soooo good.
It really was a great Sunday. It’s a shame that tomorrow is Monday and that will ruin everything. So, I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Sunday!
I am not happy that I’ve missed the last 2 days of blogging, but we had a bit of craziness. So, time to move on and start with today. Being Saturday, I’d like to do a Happiness Is post. 🙂
- Starting the weekend with a 3 mile walk with hubby at the park after work on Friday. We ignored the clouds and threat of rain and went anyway. No rain and a nice breeze made for a very nice walk.
- Meeting a fabulous friend for a 4 mile walk this morning on beautiful Bayshore Blvd. in Tampa. We hadn’t seen each other for almost 2 months so it was great to catch up AND be active at the same time. A trip to Starbucks topped it off.
- Knowing that my snuggle boy Blue is getting the care he needs at the vet. I hate that he has to stay there, the house is WAY to quiet without him, and I miss him but I know he is exactly where he needs to be for now.
- Having time today to upload pictures to finish my dad’s scrapbook that I started for him years ago. I will work on the book tomorrow and while I will not be happy about finishing it and bringing it to a close, it will make me happy to know that SO much love and emotion went into it. Since starting it, it’s been a very special book to make.
- Having so many ideas for my blog and knowing it’s all mine to do what I want with. 🙂
- Knowing that this week I’ve walked 11 miles. This is FANTASTIC given the last few weeks I’ve had.
What are you happy about today? Happy Saturday!
It’s that time again!
- I CONFESS that I did not run this morning. I put my clothes and shoes out yesterday evening, so they’d be there ready and waiting for me this morning. But I just did not have the energy to put them on and run out the door this morning. And because of that, I’ve been irritated with myself all day. #blah
- I CONFESS that it messed me up a little mentally not running over the weekend. While I enjoyed the time doing other things, it just didn’t seem right to not be out there on the two mornings a week when I have no pressure to be somewhere else.
- I CONFESS that my reading of a couple good books lately has me wanting to read every spare second I have.
- I CONFESS that I need to get my mind back in the game as far as my eating goes. I have fallen back into a few bad habits such as drinking coke (only one a day if I have one), not paying as close attention to my portion sizes as I should, and not eating as many fruits and veggies as I should.
- I CONFESS that on this 13th day of no Starbucks, I am really craving one. It seems harder now than when I first decided to stop them for awhile. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks which is HUGE. I would like to enjoy them once a week, perhaps on the weekend. But, I don’t know if my will power will be enough to stick to that. (remember me? all or nothing girl…..)
- I CONFESS that I need to step up my water intake this week. Maybe a fun water bottle would help me with that. Time to change it up a little….
- I CONFESS that ALL I can think about today is going to see Daughtry in concert tomorrow night. Tomorrow will be the longest day ever until it’s time to go.
- I CONFESS that over the next couple of days, it’s quite possible you will only hear about Daughtry. I apologize in advance for this.
I missed blogging yesterday but I just didn’t have it in me. I was so freaking tired when I got home after what was a very long and busy day. I made dinner, did some laundry, took care of the pups, and then I sat down to start a new book that I’ve been wanting to read. What am I reading, you ask? Starters by Lissa Price. It’s a YA Lit book, highly recommended by my sister-in-law. So, I have to read it! And while you’re at it, you should totally check out my SIL’s fabulous YA Llit review blog over at http://mtgreviews.wordpress.com/
I have decided to do another #7daychip. I have to quit my Starbucks habit. I. HAVE. TO. First of all, it’s expensive. Second of all, I think it is just that, a habit. I love it and I will miss it, but I have just gotten so used to having it morning after morning that I am used to the process of it. It has to stop. Today was day one of Operation No Starbucks. If I can go without it for 7 days, I can proudly claim my #7daychip acknowledgement. Not familiar with #7daychip? Check it out!! Go to http://www.bradgansberg.com/7daychip.html and read all about it!
I haven’t been to WW in 2 weeks now. I didn’t go this morning, I used the time to go and have some lab work done. Part of the lab work was to get on the scale. I am very happy to report that after 2 weeks of not going to WW, my weight this morning, on a different scale, was the exact same weight that it was the last time I weighed in. This is amazing to me. Some might look at it as two weeks behind on my weight loss, sitting in the same spot as before. I choose to look at it as two weeks of maintaining when there has been every reason (and then some) for me to gain. So go me! I am also happy to report that I have AMAZING blood pressure. It was 99/53. I always expect it to be higher given my stress levels. The lab tech was quite impressed.
Tomorrow is Friday again – YES!! This weekend I have got to do some major housecleaning. Seriously. We live in a pig sty. I also have to get my butt back out and running. Sooooo, here are my goals for this weekend:
- Run this weekend – would love to get out both days for at least 3 miles
- Major housecleaning – bedroom, bathroom, and living room are priority
- Read, read, read, and then read some more
- Stock up on fruits and veggies for the week
- And the biggest goal of all will be to NOT have Starbucks over the weekend. This will be a huge challenge, we’ll have to see if I am up for it.
I haven’t done a Happiness Is… post in quite sometime. After reading one yesterday, I thought today would be a good day to do it!
Today, Happiness Is…
- Today is finally THE day for the Mutt Strut and even more exciting is that it’s at the park across the street from our house. It is put on by the Humane Society of Pinellas where we adopted our sweet Ozzie boy from and they always do a great job. The last few years it has been at Honeymoon Island State Park which was always nice, but I love that we can walk to it today AND not pay for parking. It’s sure be a super fun family day!
- On Monday, one of my fabulous aunts from California is flying in to be here while my mom has surgery and to stay with her. We can’t wait to see her and are so thankful that she is able to come out. I know that if my other aunts could come along, they would too. They will all be here in spirit.
- Having the whole weekend ahead of me. I have been so busy lately, I don’t know which way is up. There are so many things I want to do, along with the things I need to do. Regardless of what I accomplish, I hope that there is a nap and reading time in there somewhere tomorrow. I love a nice Sunday nap.
- Having a hubby who gets up early on Saturday morning and goes to get me a yummy soy latte from Starbucks. And he brings it back OCD-compliant as I like to have it.
- The smell of orange blossoms. I can smell them in our backyard, thanks to our neighbor, and at the park.
- Having 2 crazy, sweet, adorable dogs. They are a handful and they do drive me crazy at times, but I love them. They are my babies.
What makes you happy?
This sounded like a fun post to do! If you happen to do your own after, please leave me a comment with a link to yours so I can read it!
1. I have lived in 4 states – California, Texas, Florida, and Maryland – and I have lived in each one of those states twice.
2. I wish I could give up Starbucks. I really do. It sounds so easy, but it is so hard to do.
3. I wish that I could be as optimistic everyday, all day, as I am when I am out running and I feel like I can do anything and that everything will always work out, no matter what.
4. I am the oldest of 4 and there are 18 years between me and my youngest sister.
5. It’s only been within the last couple of years that I decided I like wine and enjoy the many different flavors. However, I think it was better when I didn’t like it. It was certainly cheaper and better for my waistline.
6. I would rather be crazy busy at work, wondering how we are going to get everything done, than to be stressed over not having enough work to do. Currently, we fall under the crazy busy status.
7. My favorite day of the week is Saturday, specifically Saturday morning when we have the whole weekend ahead of us.
8. I wish I had more time to meal plan and stay stocked up on all the healthy choices I need to be my best every day.
9. Even though I wish I had to time to meal plan to be my best every day, I would still allow myself to indulge in my favorites.
10. I am so looking forward to my next half-marathon in November and I have high hopes of doing better than my first.
There you go! 10 fun facts about me for this Friday. Can’t wait to do it again next Friday!
Today is my 4th day back on WW. I jumped back in with both feet and I’m feeling really good about it, glad I finally made the decision to go back, even if it meant going to a different location to fit it in.
Thursday, the day I re-joined, I came in right at my daily points without much planning. Friday was a little more challenging as we went out for lunch and dinner. I planned ahead for both and was very proud of myself. Jason’s Deli for lunch meant I could easily have a half of a turkey sandwich on wheat with mustard, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. it came with a small side of blue tortilla chips and salsa. Very filling. We went to Chili’s for dinner and I didn’t have any chips and salsa. Not. One. This is so freaking hard for me because endless chips and salsa are one of my most favorite things but I decided it wasn’t worth it. Much different than the ones I had at lunch which weren’t greasy and there was a set amount on my plate. I knew if I took one chip at dinner, I was done. I went into my weekly points for the Margarita Grilled Chicken I had with black beans and rice but it was well worth it, and I didn’t eat every single bite. I stopped when I was full.
Saturday after walking 9.34 miles I was pretty hungry, but amazingly didn’t eat all my points for the day. We went to Jimmy John’s for lunch, I knew I could have one of their Unwich lettuce wraps for hardly any points. IT WAS SO GOOD!!! So many things I want to try there and if I go the Unwich route, not many points at all for such a filling meal. For dinner I made tilapia with zucchini and tomatoes. Great day for good food, not once feeling deprived.
This morning, I had my first Starbucks in several days and boy was it worth the 3 points. I went to the store and stocked up on goodies to make a Cheesy Chili Mac and Mustard Vinaigrette dressing that I got from WW. I also planned ahead for meals, lunches, and snacks for the week. I love being prepared, it makes it so much easier. I am still on point for today.
I am feeling very empowered and proud of myself for doing this, and falling back into it so smoothly. I know the program works, I just need to take it one day at a time, and plan ahead. This is the biggest thing for me when I am so busy during the week. The more healthy choices I have, the less likely I will be to fall into the trap of eating anything – and everything – around me. I love that there are so many options for eating out and that I don’t ever have to feel deprived of enjoying delicious food just because I am trying to be healthier.
I hope you all have a fabulous week!
Today’s post will focus on the good, the bad, and the ugly of the last few days, in no particular order.
The good…. I walked this morning, at the park. I ignored the rain clouds looming over head and headed out. I walked, didn’t run. I didn’t set my tracker for a 5K, I just set it to basic and off I went. I walked for 1 hour and 24 seconds, 3.57 miles. I walked just to walk – not to beat my previous times, not to break any records. I just walked. And it was great. Rain and all. I don’t know why I couldn’t get my butt out there these last couple of weeks when it becomes so apparent how much I enjoy it the minute I start walking.
(note to self: come back often and read this post to remind yourself how important walking is no matter what kind of funk you are in.)
The bad… I gained 2 pounds this week. Honestly, I expected it especially after missing the meeting the week prior. The meetings are great for getting me on the right foot for the new week. If I lose, it keeps me motivated to continue doing what I’m doing. If I gain, it motivates me to work harder. So, I will own these 2 pounds that are now along for the ride on my butt or hips or wherever else they decided to attach themselves.
The ugly… With the 2pounds I have gained, it puts me at a total loss of only 6.6 pounds in the whole time I’ve been back at WW. The highest my loss has been was 12.2 pounds so I have gained half of that back. This is pretty disheartening but I have to remember that it’s just not easy to lose weight and life just gets in the way. The first time I did WW, it wasn’t “easy” but it was “easier” than this time. But my body is different this time, it’s been through the ringer, poked, prodded, and more. Not to mention I’m 5 years older now. It’s just not easy. But I’m not going to give up.
The good… I am not going to let this weight loss battle beat me. I am going to keep at it, do the best I can, and know that I am doing exactly that. It may not be easy, but it will not beat me.
The bad… After re-commiting myself to tracking again on Wednesday, I fell off the wagon yesterday and didn’t track a single bit. So, I am starting over again today to try for my #7daychip. I know I can do this. I’ll pick myself back up and start again. Today is day 1.
The ugly… I overate in a big way at dinner last night. Nobody’s fault but mine. I did it and I own it. Time to move on.
The good… On Wednesday, I committed to not having Starbucks until the weekend. I successfully met that challenge and rewarded myself with one this morning. It was super yummy and I enjoyed it. I tracked it, and all is right in the world.
The good… When I went to WW yesterday, Lorraine (our fearless leader) was so happy to see me and greeted me with a hug. She said she had been worried about me all week. That made me feel good. It’s people like her who keep those meetings going and keep us coming back. She has been in the same place we have, fought the same battles, and is there to offer her support in any way she can. Thank you Lorraine.
The good… After the WW meeting, I had a great talk with Tammy, a WW friend. We chat at each meeting, and on Facebook. We both enjoy walking, and seem to have the same struggles with time, with our bodies cooperating, and just trying to get that scale to go down. She told me she was worried about me, that I was looking a little defeated and to not give up. Our talk reminded me that it is really good to get back to basics and just keep plugging along, doing the best we can. Thank you Tammy, you’re a doll.
I might have to make this a regular post… It’s a good way to get things off my chest, things I need to face and deal with. That’s the whole point of my blog. I already have tomorrow’s post in mine, so stay tuned!
I did it – I stuck to my promise and walked this morning. I had to go on the treadmill due to the rain and by the time I decided the rain wouldn’t stop for me, I only had 30 minutes to get it done. I did 2 miles in 34:35. The miles seem to take so much longer on the treadmill and I am not sure why there seems to be such a time difference beetween walking outside and on the treadmill, but there is. Regardless, I did it. Day one of getting back to it.
I am setting some goals for myself and I want to share them with you. Some you’ve heard before, some maybe you have not.
- No Starbucks today, tomorrow, or Friday. They should be a rare treat on the weekends, not several days a week.
- Get back to drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day. Most days I meet this goal, but I need to do it EVERYDAY.
- Focus more on fruits and veggies and less on processed foods.
- Track every bite I take. This has fallen very low on my list of priorities and that needs to change. The busier I am, the harder this is so I just need to really focus on it.
- Walk 3 days a week, no less. More is good, but not less. I have to remember that even in this funk when I don’t want to walk, I will feel much better after I’ve done it. Plain and simple.
Some of you may have heard about the #7daychip, maybe you have not. I’ve seen it fly by in Twitter posts and read about it on a couple different blogs I follow. Most recently I read about it over on Jen’s blog, Jen In Real Life. She just got her #7daychip after setting a goal to track her food everyday. As she put it, she tracked everything for 8 days – the good, the bad, the ugly. If she can do it, so can I.
I visited the website for the #7daychip, which you can find here. You can read about Brad Gansberg and more on his website. The #7daychip is an acknowledgement of going 7 days without eating in an uncontrolled manner. You determine your own standards that you need to achieve this goal.
Since I want, NEED, to get back to tracking all of my foods, my goal is the same as Jen’s. To track everything I eat for 8 days. The good, the bad, the ugly. When I’m done (notice I didn’t say if), it will be a big accomplishment, one that will work side by side with my Weight Watchers goals. The goals that I know work when I do it.
With that said, I’ve already had 2 bottles of water this morning and I had oatmeal for breakfast, with soy milk and half an apple. Very filling.
Have any of you done the #7daychip? I’d love to hear about it if you have! Feel free to share some of your goals, too.
That blah feeling I had on my last post (a week ago today, thank you) has certainly taken it’s time skipping town. I haven’t walked at all. For the first time in forever, my weekly dailymile report had 0 miles. Major guilt trip when I got that email. I’ve been eating a lot and making poor choices. And to top it off, I did not go to WW last Friday because I had a busy day ahead for work. My time at work and not at the meeting was well worth it, getting everything done that I needed to before the long weekend, but I should have gone to another meeting. I did not. I can’t give you a good reason why because I don’t know.
So, it’s Tuesday afternoon and I have been home since 1pm. Internet was down and I had a big quote to get out for work. That requires internet. So I came home. I got the quote done as well as other things. Now would be the perfect time to go and walk, but I’m not. Instead I am roasting some zucchini because it sounded good. A little olive oil drizzle, some minced garlic, and italian seasoning. I’ve never made it this way and I had a whole pack of zucchini sitting in the fridge, just waiting to be used.
This morning I had a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. Today was the first they had it and man it was good. I get mine with soy milk, it’s that much creamier. I enjoyed every last drop of it. The problem is, this could VERY easily snowball into me wanting one every day. My waist AND my checkbook cannot afford that. So, I am putting the brakes on Starbucks starting now. I’ll have to take an all or nothing approach with it at first and break this habit I’ve gotten back into over over the last couple of weeks. I’m sorry Starbucks, I’m not saying goodbye forever, just for a little bit. Perhaps you’ll see me on the weekend. It’s not you, it’s me. Promise.
As for my walking, or lack thereof, I have to make a change. I have missed walking, but have also enjoyed the lack of pain in my foot. So, as soon as I can, I am buying a pair of inserts for my shoes as suggested by my brother. We’ll give that a shot. I am also going to switch things up and go back to walking in the morning – STARTING TOMORROW. To be able to get it done first thing, at least for the next few weeks, will be nice. I have some guilt about neglecting other things around the house by walking in the afternoon when I get home so the mornings will be a good choice for now.
The wonderful thing is, I have now told the world my plans so now I have to do it. Should anyone feel the urge to check up on me and make sure I’m actually doing these things, I welcome the accountability. You know where and how to find me.