Category Archives: weigh-in
I missed blogging yesterday but I just didn’t have it in me. I was so freaking tired when I got home after what was a very long and busy day. I made dinner, did some laundry, took care of the pups, and then I sat down to start a new book that I’ve been wanting to read. What am I reading, you ask? Starters by Lissa Price. It’s a YA Lit book, highly recommended by my sister-in-law. So, I have to read it! And while you’re at it, you should totally check out my SIL’s fabulous YA Llit review blog over at http://mtgreviews.wordpress.com/
I have decided to do another #7daychip. I have to quit my Starbucks habit. I. HAVE. TO. First of all, it’s expensive. Second of all, I think it is just that, a habit. I love it and I will miss it, but I have just gotten so used to having it morning after morning that I am used to the process of it. It has to stop. Today was day one of Operation No Starbucks. If I can go without it for 7 days, I can proudly claim my #7daychip acknowledgement. Not familiar with #7daychip? Check it out!! Go to http://www.bradgansberg.com/7daychip.html and read all about it!
I haven’t been to WW in 2 weeks now. I didn’t go this morning, I used the time to go and have some lab work done. Part of the lab work was to get on the scale. I am very happy to report that after 2 weeks of not going to WW, my weight this morning, on a different scale, was the exact same weight that it was the last time I weighed in. This is amazing to me. Some might look at it as two weeks behind on my weight loss, sitting in the same spot as before. I choose to look at it as two weeks of maintaining when there has been every reason (and then some) for me to gain. So go me! I am also happy to report that I have AMAZING blood pressure. It was 99/53. I always expect it to be higher given my stress levels. The lab tech was quite impressed.
Tomorrow is Friday again – YES!! This weekend I have got to do some major housecleaning. Seriously. We live in a pig sty. I also have to get my butt back out and running. Sooooo, here are my goals for this weekend:
- Run this weekend – would love to get out both days for at least 3 miles
- Major housecleaning – bedroom, bathroom, and living room are priority
- Read, read, read, and then read some more
- Stock up on fruits and veggies for the week
- And the biggest goal of all will be to NOT have Starbucks over the weekend. This will be a huge challenge, we’ll have to see if I am up for it.
It’s True Confessions Tuesday AGAIN. Ugh. Here goes, this one will be a doozy.
- I CONFESS that I skipped last week’s True Confessions Tuesday but it wasn’t totally intentional. Last week was Crazy, with a capital C.
- I CONFESS that I did not go to WW last Thursday to weigh-in. It was the day after my mom’s surgery and I was at the hospital with her that morning. If I’m being honest, I will also add that I know I would have absolutely had a gain had I gone. Craziness (again with the capital C), a huge homemade family meal that Monday night, a day of eating whatever while my mom was in surgery and getting settled in the hospital for an overnight stay, etc…. I could go on and on, and on some more.
- I CONFESS that if my Aunt Darlene had not been here with us last week, I’m not sure how I would have handled everything on my plate. Just knowing my mom had Darlene to care for her and keep her company allowed me to do what I need to do for our business, among everything else. I am very thankful for my Aunt Darlene.
- I CONFESS I have not run in over a week now. Not to sound like a broken record, but Crazy with a capital C is my excuse on that too. How was I supposed to fit one in? When Friday evening rolled around, I was exhausted. I momentarily thought about squeezing in a run on Saturday morning before my other plans for the day, but I was just worn out, beat down, and too tired to do it. I was afraid that if I ran when I was that wiped out, I would have hurt myself or would have had the worst run ever. Nothing pisses me off more than being set up to fail, whether I do it to myself or it’s done by others. So, I opted for a total random moment of weakness and used that hour of time to have a pedicure. I do not feel guilty about that at all. My tootsies were in desparate need.
- I CONFESS that when I went to the movies with my SIL Jenna on Sunday morning, I had popcorn with butter AND Nestle Bunch A Crunch. It’s my movie-going weakness. I have to have it. Thankfully I don’t go to the movies often so I can justify it as an every-once-in-awhile splurge.
- I CONFESS that sometimes we are faced with incredibly hard decisions that honestly seem like too much.
- I CONFESS that I enjoyed both beer and wine last week. The wine came from Trader Joe’s in California. YUM. The beer, well, it came from Publix up the street, but I really do enjoy ice cold beer.
- I CONFESS that knowing I wasn’t going to go weigh-in at WW last Thursday gave me too much wiggle room. In my mind I thought, I know I’m not going, so I can have this or that. Be very glad you don’t live in my world, it’s not a nice place to be.
- I CONFESS that I if I had the ability to do so, I could literally sleep for a week. I am that tired.
- I CONFESS that my house is a mess and I would probably need a full week to get it clean. There is major dusting to be done, carpets to clean, bathrooms to clean, kitchen floors to clean, and more.
- I CONFESS that I am less than thrilled about a doctor’s appointment I have tomorrow.
- I CONFESS that without my SIL Jenna’s help, my blog would not be headed towards the super cool look that I hope to have finished sooner than later. She was a big help on Sunday and has offered to help me some more. I will more than likely take her up on it.
Do you have any confessions for this Tuesday? Now’s the time to ‘fess up!
What a week this has been. It’s been busy, crazy, overwhelming, and I was not at my best when I caved into the evilness of the Pizza Hut Dinner Box on Monday. I still say it was DE-LISH but it has had me stressing over my weigh-in this week.
This morning was my weigh-in and my moment of truth. Let me start by saying that I wasn’t as fearful of the scale this morning as I was earlier in the week when thinking about it. I own everything I do and eat, so there is no one to blame but myself for a gain. I am accountable for anything I do. And a gain this week would CLEARLY have been from the evil pizza/breadsticks/cinamonn sticks. There are times when the thought of seeing a gain due to a really bad meal will stop me from that meal, it’s enough for me to make better choices. There are times when I just don’t care, or I care less at that moment.
With that said, I weighed in this morning at the EXACT same weight as last week. I maintained. And I couldn’t be happier about it. Whew!
Yesterday was a hard day. Without getting into it just now, just know that had it not been the day before weigh-in, I would have eaten everything in site and probably would have thrown in a few drinks as well. Somehow this morning’s weigh-in outweighed (no pun intended) the emotional eating that I could have very easily given into. That’s my thing, emotional eating. Stressed, upset, scared, hurt, you name it – it sends me straight to the nearest food or snack or drink that is bad for me.
Today starts a new week, with new choices to make. I’ve already indulged in a McD’s lunch because I have the extra points for it, and that’s what they’re there for. It’s all a balance of not depriving myself and choosing what to have and if it’s worth the consequences. Today it’s worth it.
Just breathe will be my mantra today and in the coming days.
It seems that I missed my confessions last week. No worries there, though, because I am sure to make up for it today. Here goes.
- I CONFESS that I am afraid of weighing in this week. I’ve had a loss every week except one (which was a minor gain of 0.4). I have not made the best choices this week, totally on me, and while I have been active, I feel that some of it is out of my hands. I’m going to blame Evil Bloated Woman. Remember her? She’s been nice enough to have a few mentions on my blog before.
- I CONFESS that despite my fear of weighing in this week, which started yesterday morning, I still chose not to run yesterday. I just did not have it in me. My legs were tired. I made myself read my post from last week about listening to my body to remind myself that it is okay. And while I *mostly* believe that, there is still that nagging voice in my head telling me that I should have done it.
- I CONFESS that in addition to my lack of running yesterday, I made a BAD decision for dinner. I made the mother of bad decisions. Pizza Hut. It was all my idea, no one to blame but myself. I had such a craving for it – or shoud I say Evil Bloated Woman had a craving for it. It sounded so good. And it was good. We got the $10 Dinner Box. Pan pizza (ham and onion), breadsticks, and cinammon sticks. It was so bad and so good all at the same time. I felt guilty as I was eating it but it sure didn’t stop me. But, what’s done is done, and it’s time to move on. Today, I have stayed within my points.
- I CONFESS that today’s run was H.A.R.D.. I knew all day that when I got home, I was going to change and get out the door as soon as possible so as not to change my mind. My legs were still tired and heavy today but I was not going to let it stop me. I had to undo the damage I did last night. I ran 3.11 miles in 40:38 and in all honesty, I’m surprised it didn’t take me alot longer. My legs felt like lead weights. I ran and walked in short spurts, fighting the urge to just walk it. And it was HOT outside. I was so happy to be done and I am proud of myself for pushing through it.
Do you have any confessions for this Tuesday? Now’s the time to ‘fess up!
My rule is to only get on the scale once a week, at WW. We don’t have a scale at home. We used to, and when we did, I would get on it every single day. And in my world, there can be a 2, 3 , 4 + lb. difference in a day. It would drive me mad. So, no more scale at home. And that way I know it’s consistent by weighing in at the same place each week.
I weighed in at WW Thursday morning and had a 0.4 lb. gain. I don’t really consider this a gain, it’s a wash. We ate out a couple times for my birthday last week and I let myself splurge more than I have in a few weeks. I don’t regret it. I am still down 7.4 lbs. in one month.
This morning, I threw on my sweatpants since it was a little chilly outside and we were headed out. When I put them on, I realized they were loose on me. YAY! The last time I wore them, they were little snug. What a great feeling that was! It’s easy to fall into the trap of only going by what the scale says but there are weeks where the scale won’t budge. I have to remember the other non-scale victories that I’ll have, such as my clothes being loose on me. It’s a good problem to have.
A non-scale victory can be anything. It can be loose-fitting clothes, a compliment from someone, making good choices over bad without really thinking about it, feeling better in your own skin…. And these little victories are great motivation to keep it up. I know that I am ready to face the week with smart decisions.
Today’s post will focus on the good, the bad, and the ugly of the last few days, in no particular order.
The good…. I walked this morning, at the park. I ignored the rain clouds looming over head and headed out. I walked, didn’t run. I didn’t set my tracker for a 5K, I just set it to basic and off I went. I walked for 1 hour and 24 seconds, 3.57 miles. I walked just to walk – not to beat my previous times, not to break any records. I just walked. And it was great. Rain and all. I don’t know why I couldn’t get my butt out there these last couple of weeks when it becomes so apparent how much I enjoy it the minute I start walking.
(note to self: come back often and read this post to remind yourself how important walking is no matter what kind of funk you are in.)
The bad… I gained 2 pounds this week. Honestly, I expected it especially after missing the meeting the week prior. The meetings are great for getting me on the right foot for the new week. If I lose, it keeps me motivated to continue doing what I’m doing. If I gain, it motivates me to work harder. So, I will own these 2 pounds that are now along for the ride on my butt or hips or wherever else they decided to attach themselves.
The ugly… With the 2pounds I have gained, it puts me at a total loss of only 6.6 pounds in the whole time I’ve been back at WW. The highest my loss has been was 12.2 pounds so I have gained half of that back. This is pretty disheartening but I have to remember that it’s just not easy to lose weight and life just gets in the way. The first time I did WW, it wasn’t “easy” but it was “easier” than this time. But my body is different this time, it’s been through the ringer, poked, prodded, and more. Not to mention I’m 5 years older now. It’s just not easy. But I’m not going to give up.
The good… I am not going to let this weight loss battle beat me. I am going to keep at it, do the best I can, and know that I am doing exactly that. It may not be easy, but it will not beat me.
The bad… After re-commiting myself to tracking again on Wednesday, I fell off the wagon yesterday and didn’t track a single bit. So, I am starting over again today to try for my #7daychip. I know I can do this. I’ll pick myself back up and start again. Today is day 1.
The ugly… I overate in a big way at dinner last night. Nobody’s fault but mine. I did it and I own it. Time to move on.
The good… On Wednesday, I committed to not having Starbucks until the weekend. I successfully met that challenge and rewarded myself with one this morning. It was super yummy and I enjoyed it. I tracked it, and all is right in the world.
The good… When I went to WW yesterday, Lorraine (our fearless leader) was so happy to see me and greeted me with a hug. She said she had been worried about me all week. That made me feel good. It’s people like her who keep those meetings going and keep us coming back. She has been in the same place we have, fought the same battles, and is there to offer her support in any way she can. Thank you Lorraine.
The good… After the WW meeting, I had a great talk with Tammy, a WW friend. We chat at each meeting, and on Facebook. We both enjoy walking, and seem to have the same struggles with time, with our bodies cooperating, and just trying to get that scale to go down. She told me she was worried about me, that I was looking a little defeated and to not give up. Our talk reminded me that it is really good to get back to basics and just keep plugging along, doing the best we can. Thank you Tammy, you’re a doll.
I might have to make this a regular post… It’s a good way to get things off my chest, things I need to face and deal with. That’s the whole point of my blog. I already have tomorrow’s post in mine, so stay tuned!
That blah feeling I had on my last post (a week ago today, thank you) has certainly taken it’s time skipping town. I haven’t walked at all. For the first time in forever, my weekly dailymile report had 0 miles. Major guilt trip when I got that email. I’ve been eating a lot and making poor choices. And to top it off, I did not go to WW last Friday because I had a busy day ahead for work. My time at work and not at the meeting was well worth it, getting everything done that I needed to before the long weekend, but I should have gone to another meeting. I did not. I can’t give you a good reason why because I don’t know.
So, it’s Tuesday afternoon and I have been home since 1pm. Internet was down and I had a big quote to get out for work. That requires internet. So I came home. I got the quote done as well as other things. Now would be the perfect time to go and walk, but I’m not. Instead I am roasting some zucchini because it sounded good. A little olive oil drizzle, some minced garlic, and italian seasoning. I’ve never made it this way and I had a whole pack of zucchini sitting in the fridge, just waiting to be used.
This morning I had a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. Today was the first they had it and man it was good. I get mine with soy milk, it’s that much creamier. I enjoyed every last drop of it. The problem is, this could VERY easily snowball into me wanting one every day. My waist AND my checkbook cannot afford that. So, I am putting the brakes on Starbucks starting now. I’ll have to take an all or nothing approach with it at first and break this habit I’ve gotten back into over over the last couple of weeks. I’m sorry Starbucks, I’m not saying goodbye forever, just for a little bit. Perhaps you’ll see me on the weekend. It’s not you, it’s me. Promise.
As for my walking, or lack thereof, I have to make a change. I have missed walking, but have also enjoyed the lack of pain in my foot. So, as soon as I can, I am buying a pair of inserts for my shoes as suggested by my brother. We’ll give that a shot. I am also going to switch things up and go back to walking in the morning – STARTING TOMORROW. To be able to get it done first thing, at least for the next few weeks, will be nice. I have some guilt about neglecting other things around the house by walking in the afternoon when I get home so the mornings will be a good choice for now.
The wonderful thing is, I have now told the world my plans so now I have to do it. Should anyone feel the urge to check up on me and make sure I’m actually doing these things, I welcome the accountability. You know where and how to find me.
Good grief, Charlie Brown. Has it really been over a week, almost 2 actually, since I last updated my blog? I’ve meant to update it several times but for some reason I have not. Chalk it off to the funkiness I have been in, I guess.
My last post was about evil bloated woman where I gained 3.4 pounds. &^%#%@ Yea, 3.4 lbs.. Mind you, no one forced the food down my throat or twisted my arm to eat whatever bad foods I ate that I probably should not have. But when evil bloated woman is here, I have NO self control. NONE. Really, I don’t.
Moving past the 3.4 lb. gain, the next day I walked 13 miles with my fabulous sister-in-law. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy those walks? The high that I feel when done with that kind of walk should keep me going for a great start to the week leading up to the next weigh-in. But not last week. I didn’t walk the Sunday after. And not that Monday. I did do a strength training work out (which, by the way, I felt for days). On Tuesday I walked 3.11 miles. I wanted to run, but my legs
could not would not do it. Regardless, I walked it and got it done. On Wednesday, I did nothing. Nada. Same on Thursday. Thursday is normally a no workout day anyhow, but the guilt was there since I skipped the day before. When I walked into WW on Friday, I had no idea what the scale would say. Whatever it said, though, I would have to own it. I am the one who decided to not workout when I could have, or to eat whatever it was I should not have. Amazingly, I was down 1 pound. Honestly, I think the pound I lost was the fact that evil bloated woman was finally gone, at least until she rears her ugly head again in a few weeks.
That 1.0 lb. loss gave me a little jump start,. I was happy. I was even happier when my sister-in-law and I walked 14 miles on Saturday. That is nothing to sneeze at, my friends. It was a HARD walk this week. It was hot and humid and when we were done, my feet (especially my right foot) was screaming at me. My SIL had to stop at mile 12 due to blisters on her feet. It was brutal. But we gave it our best. I burned ALOT of calories, 1239 calories to be exact. Again, this should have kept me going into this week.
Where did this funk come from? Why I am so blah this past week and not really caring about what food choices I make? It’s irritating, and to be quite honest, scary. I don’t want to give up, I don’t want to quit, but I feel like something else is controlling me.
I got home yesterday and should have walked. It was raining so I didn’t. I should have gone on the treadmill, but I didn’t. I got home today, no rain, a little bit of a breeze – I should have walked. But I didn’t. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME??
Someone needs to give me a virtual slap or something. I don’t know what needs to happen, but I have got to snap out of this funkiness. I don’t want to be tired and blah and just whatever. I don’t. I want to be that girl who comes home, changes quickly, and runs out the front door and knocks out 3.11 miles as quickly as I can. I want to walk back in the house, dripping with sweat, and post what I did, and enjoy the rest of my evening knowing I busted my butt.
If anyone can help me find that girl that does those things, I’ll be eternally grateful. I’m really not sure where she is this week. I need her.
I am skipping my usual BYOC post this week to talk about a different topic. That being weight gain. My usual light-hearted, entertaining, information packed post will be replaced with something far less fun, but something I want to talk about.
This week has been a weird one. I walked this past Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I didn’t only walk, I ran. I kicked butt and sweat like there was no tomorrow. Then came Tuesday and I was tired. I was achy. My legs hurt. And I was grouchy. At some point that day, evil bloated woman took over my body and I had no say in it. I chose not to run that day, hell I didn’t even want to walk. And it didn’t take much convincing of myself to not go out. Instead, I did some cleaning when I got home. And I didn’t miss the running. I attributed this to the arrival of evil bloated woman. I am over losing control of my body for a few days each month but whatever. Being a girl sucks. Did I mention that I had a couple of adult beverages as well?
Then comes Wednesday and I started the day thinking I would make up for the day before. WRONG. My eating that day was awful. I was on carb overload, consuming everything that is bad for me like there is no tomorrow. I knew it was wrong but I didn’t care. Or evil bloated woman didn’t care. The line can be very blurred at times. When I got home Wednesday afternoon, I knew I would not be running or walking. Nope, it wasn’t going to happen.
This is what I started to feel guilty, but knew that no matter how much guilt I felt, I had no control over the situation. I was bloated and hungry and grouchy and as much as I wanted to not care about being good and getting out there, I really didn’t.
Yesterday being a non-workout day for me, I took advantage of it and did just that. I didn’t work out. Why would I? I was still grouchy and bloated and being held hostage by evil bloated woman. There was more eating foods that I shouldn’t be eating, at least in the quantities I was eating them.
When I got up this morning, I dreaded getting on the scale at WW. For a minute, evil bloated woman tried to convince me NOT to go. But alas, I knew I would go. I had to go, I had to be accountable, no matter how bad it might be. The only thing is, I didn’t realize it would be quite so bad.
I got on the scale this morning to see a 3.4 lb. weight gain. I gained exactly the amount of weight that I worked my butt off to lose the two weeks prior. I joked about evil bloated woman when I got off the scale and while I know she played a part in it, I knew that somehow I have to find a way to not let her control me like that and send me into a downward spiral.
I know I will lose that 3.4 pounds, I don’t doubt that. I just worry that it’ll take me two 2+ weeks to do it and then before I know it, evil bloated woman will be back again trying to trick me into her evil ways again. I have to find a way to keep her from controlling me.
Tomorrow morning I will be walking 13 miles with my sister-in-law for her training for the 3 Day walk. This will be a great start to the new week. I cannot let this get me down, I have to pick myself up and get right back to it. Evil bloated woman be damned.
This past week marked 16 weeks back at WW for me. I had a gain, as expected, after the long holiday weekend of the 4th and a busy week. I need to work on being more prepared for the busy weeks so I
stop using that as an excuse handle them better.
Let’s start with my stats:
Current weight: 155.6
Total lost: 10.2
This loss is down from 12.2 lbs. lost back on 06/03/11
Having been back at WW for 16 weeks now, I have been reminded how so much of it is give and take. Part of WW is learning how to handle different situations and to make wise decisions when it comes to eating. I do my best to always have fruit in the fridge, LOTS of water, and dinner is my biggest protein meal of the day. I also don’t eat after 8:30 pm.
Where I struggle is lunch during the week. My stress level has a tendency to dictate how good or bad I will be for lunch. The smoother my day is going, the better I’m going to be. If it is a bad day, all good intentions go out the window. Even if I started out the day by packing a lunch and calculating my points for the day, it doesn’t matter at that point.
This is where that give and take comes in. If I give 110% and do everything I can – eat right, drinnk plenty of water, and get in plenty of activity – I will more than likely see results when I weigh-in. If I don’t do all those things, it will also be reflected on the scale.
I am in control of my destiny on that scale. How hard do I want to work each week to make it happen? Do I want to kill myself to lose the weight as soon as possible? NO. Slow and steady whens the race… Do I want to do my best when I can yet still enjoy life and eating out and family meals, etc…. YES.
Would I like to be a little farther in my weight loss journey at this 16 week mark? YES. Maybe at my 10%…. Am I going to stress over it? NO. I made choices throughout these 16 weeks and this is where I am so far. Being down 10.2 lbs. is nothing to sneeze at. And that is going to keep me going.
A couple goals I am setting for myself this week:
– Keep up the 64 oz. of water a day. A couple days this week I did not meet that goal. I am also going to get back to posting it on FB when I reach my goal each day – helps to keep me accountable.
– Do my best to make time to walk at least 4 days this week, despite how busy I am.
What are some of your goals for the week?